Can I relocate out of state with my child?

On Behalf of | Oct 18, 2021 | Divorce

If you have an established parenting plan that outlines a custody arrangement and are wondering if you can relocate out-of-state with your child, the answer is, “It depends.” Because the court recognizes the fact that children most often thrive with both parents, it will require getting approval.

Before you begin the process, ask yourself why you want to move out of state. While there are many situations that can make sense such as a job offer, the court will consider what is in the overall best interest of your son or daughter.

You must submit a request for a hearing

In Ohio, the law requires parents to request a hearing if they want to relocate their child. To do this, he or she must file a Notice of Intent To Relocate. This notice will go to the same family court that initially issued your custody order. When you fill out the request, it is a good idea to provide as much information as possible to give the judge a clear picture of your situation.

The court will consider multiple factors

When reviewing your request, the court will consider multiple factors to determine what is best for your child. In addition to your reason for moving and the distance of the proposed move, the court will also look at your child’s ties to his or her community, including relationships with friends and family. In addition, you may have a hard time moving out of state if you have a criminal history.

At the end of the day, you may or may not be able to move across state lines with your child. The answer ultimately depends on your unique situation and the court.